It’s a question that we get all the time here at Reimer: should I have my AC unit repaired, or should I purchase a new one?
First, some advice: every situation (and AC system!) is different, and the best way to have your dilemma answered is by talking to one of the professionals at Reimer and having them inspect your current system. However, to get the conversation started, here are some things to consider when you’re debating between repair and replacement.
When to consider AC unit repair:
- If you have a younger system: If your air conditioner is less than 10 years old, you should strongly consider repair. As long as it doesn’t have a long or extensive history of breaking down, a less-than-decade-old AC unit probably has years of service ahead of it. Most air conditioners last between 10-15 years but properly maintained ones can last far longer than that.
- If you have a strong maintenance history: Without annual maintenance from an industry-certified professional, your AC unit may encounter problems that snowball into long-term damage and wear. However, if you’ve done a good job keeping up with maintenance, you’re more likely to ride out the repairs that you do need and have a longer system lifespan.
- If you’re otherwise satisfied with your system: If your system is delivering you energy efficiency in-line with your expectations and cooling that gets the job done for your family, take that into consideration when weighing repair versus replacement. A new unit will probably have efficiency gains, but if the gulf isn’t significant, you may want to stick with your current system.
When to consider AC unit replacement:
- When it’s only slightly more expensive than the repair: The cost of some repairs—depending on the problem and how extensive the fix is—may come close to the cost of just purchasing a new unit. If this is the case, you’ll want to go with a new system, even if it costs you some extra money. You’ll make it up in the added energy efficiency and years of your new system. Remember: sometimes, your current AC unit is a sunk cost. It’s time to move on.
- If the repairs are becoming repetitive: It’s one thing to pay for a single repair a single time. However, if your AC is starting to become a money pit where small repairs keep adding up, you may need to cut the cord and move on to a new system. Weigh the costs and think about an honest figure for how much your AC has cost you—in both actual money and in time and patience.
- If you stand to benefit from better efficiency: If—on top of needing repairs—your current AC is an aging energy hog, you may want to think about a new unit as not only an AC replacement but an investment. Chat with the technicians at Reimer, and they’ll help you figure out how much a new, advanced system can save you every single month.
Why choose Reimer Heating and Air Conditioning?
Since 1921, Reimer has provided Western New York and Buffalo with quality heating and cooling services, including installation, repair, and maintenance. We also offer plumbing services. That’s nearly a century of helping homeowners keep their homes comfortable. Our 100% satisfaction guarantee, NATE-certified technicians, and overall commitment to quality service have made us a local favorite.
Whether you need help deciding between AC repair or replacment—or already know and need to schedule service—give the professionals at Reimer Heating and Air Conditioning a call.