Signs of water heater issues, and when to call Reimer for plumbing repair
No one wants to step into what they think is a hot shower, only to be greeted with lukewarm or cold water. Understanding how your water heater works and knowing the signs of water heater issues can prevent this scenario by allowing you to get problems fixed in advance.
The inner workings of your water heater
Most standard water heaters are fairly simple, consisting of a large metal drum filled with water and a heating apparatus inside or at the bottom. While some homes have tankless water heaters, they are less common than those with tanks.
Cold water travels from your home’s water lines into the cold water intake at the bottom of the tank, where it’s heated and delivered to the sinks and showers on demand. The heating mechanism turns on automatically when you request hot water and switches off when you’ve reached the desired temperature.
Here are some signs of water heater issues:
Water heater repair signs are easy to spot if you’re aware of them. Some of the most common symptoms that could signify a problem with the heater include:
- Lack of sufficient hot water, which could be caused by mineral deposit buildup in the tank or by failure of the heating element
- Popping or banging noises caused by overheating
- Leaking from the tank, which occurs when overheating causes the metal to fail
- Hot water that looks cloudy or has an unpleasant odor, similar to the smell of rotten eggs
- Leaky or rusted connections caused by depletion of the anode rod, an element that prevents corrosion
- Leaking temperature or pressure release valve
Call Reimer for emergency plumbing repair in Buffalo
Left untreated, water heater issues can cause expensive, dangerous problems, including a water tank failure if the pressure release valve fails.
Here in Buffalo and Western New York, consider scheduling regular water heater service with Reimer Home Services. If you are noticing any of the signs of water heater issues listed above and want to have your water heater checked by our experienced professionals, contact us!