Should I have my HVAC System Replaced?
If you are asking yourself, “Should I have my HVAC system replaced?”, you have likely already notice some things that have made you think that way.
Before you HVAC system stops working completely, there are usually signs that trouble is on the way. Being without AC during our Buffalo summers can be miserable, so if there are indications that your system may be on the fritz, and if you are asking yourself, “Should I have my HVAC system replaced?”, the answer is almost always, “Yes”. Let’s take a look at some signs that you may be in need of a HVAC system replacement, how to choose a new unit, and what to expect when you have your new system installed.
Are there signs that my HVAC system needs replaced?
If you are asking yourself, “Should I have my HVAC system replaced?”, you have likely already notice some things that have made you think that way. We have reviewed the indicators that it may be time for a new system before, and have provided a refresher of some things you should be on the lookout for below.
– Age of your HVAC system. Today’s units have a typical lifetime of around 20 to 30 years. If yours is more than 15 years old, it is probably time to start considering replacement options.
– Higher than normal energy bills and maintenance costs. Your heating and cooling expenses could be a significant sign that your HVAC system is close to needing to be replaced.
– New noises and sounds. If your unit is making banging or humming noises, there could be a problem. New sounds or louder noises coming from your HVAC system almost always signal that something is not right.
– Varying temperatures throughout your home. If some rooms in your Buffalo, New York home are hotter or colder than others, this could be a sign that your system is on its last leg.
What should I look for when choosing a new HVAC system?
If you have determined that it is time to have your HVAC system replaced, finding one that is right for your home can be challenging. The below are a few things to keep in mind when selecting your new system.
– Type of current system and energy source (gas or electric).
– Energy efficiency; we have reviewed before how energy efficiency plays a major role in the cost and effectiveness of your home’s heating and cooling. Finding a HVAC system that will save you money and work efficiently, is a something that you should keep in mind.
– Size is one of the most important factors that contributes to a HVAC system’s effectiveness. One that is too small will not keep your home comfortable and may have to overwork; one that is too large will operate ineffectively and cost more.
– Features and benefits that will work for your home and family. Think about advanced filtration, zoned units, etc.
– Price and availability.
How can I prepare to have my HVAC system replaced?
If you have answered, “yes” to, “Should I have my HVAC system replaced?”, it is now time to prepare for your new unit.
– Move and store your belongings. Before the HVAC company arrives to replace your system, you should prepare your home for the replacement. Move valuables, antiques, and furniture to locations that are out of the way, to avoid them getting damaged. If you have pets and children, it is also a good idea to keep them out of the work area.
– Understand the timeline. Most new HVAC system installs only take a day, but you should confirm the time-frame prior to having the replacement begin. If the weather is colder or warmer, you will not want to be without heat or air for an extended period of time, you may want to make adjustments around your home to accommodate (electric heaters, fans, etc.).
– Accept that there may be unexpected things that arise. As with all home repairs, when the professionals get to work, there may be unexpected items that come up. This is okay and you should be prepared for them. The HVAC professionals may find ductwork in need of repair, wall and drywall issues, electrical problems, etc.
– Education on your new system. After your new HVAC system has been installed and tested, the HVAC professional should go over the proper operation of your new system and any other important information you may need to know. If they don’t show you, be sure to ask them things like how to change your air filters, where the indicator light is, and anything else you would like to know.
If it is time to have your Buffalo, New York HVAC system replaced, Reimer Home Services is here for you. We offer free in-home estimates, are an official Carrier dealer, our technicians are AC installation experts, and we have financing available with approved credit. Contact us today to get started.