Does my Thermostat Need Replaced?
Around 90% of American households have HVAC, and the thermostat is one of the key components to a HVAC system.
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night because you are too hot? What about getting out of bed to realize your home is extremely cold? Your Buffalo home’s thermostat can mean the difference between you and your family being comfortable in your home or not. Having the right and functional thermostat, can save you around 10% a year on heating and cooling costs, so it is important to know when it is time to have your thermostat replaced.
What is my Thermostat?
Around 90% of American households have HVAC, and the thermostat is one of the key components to a HVAC system. The thermostat is a regulating device component, of your HVAC, that senses the temperature of the physical system and performs actions so that the system’s temperature is maintained near a desired set point.
To put it simply, your HVAC’s thermostat is the control center of your home’s heating and cooling system. It’s the thing that determines when and how much heat or air will be delivered by the unit.
Does my Thermostat Need Replaced?
Regardless if you have a basic thermostat or a programmable thermostat, like all things, there are signs that could tell you that it is time to replace yours. Let’s review.
– HVAC System is Randomly Turning off and on. If you have noticed that your Buffalo, New York HVAC system has starting turning off and on, with what appears to be no reason whatsoever, there could be an issue with your thermostat. If your HVAC has stopped taking the thermostat signals, it is very likely that the thermostat has a problem. The wiring inside your thermostat can become damaged or frayed, or there could be another issue. Before deciding it is time to buy a new thermostat, if yours is battery operated, try changing the batteries, it could be an easy fix.
– Incorrect Temperature Readings. If your home’s thermostat is not reading the temperature of your home correctly, that can make for a miserable and uncomfortable environment. If you notice that your home feels much warmer or cooler than the thermostat is reading, there could be a problem. To check whether the temperature is correct, you can test the thermostat’s reading with a portable indoor thermometer. If the readings are wrong, then the thermostat’s sensor may be malfunctioning. The issue could be caused by old age, a manufacturing defect, or misuse.
– Constant Temperature Changes. If your thermostat needs replaced, it may start having a difficult time maintaining settings and temperatures, as mentioned above. If you have noticed that your temperature in your home is continuously changing for no reason and with no warning, your thermostat could be going bad. Keep an eye on it and if it continues to happens, contact a local HVAC professional to help you diagnose the issue.
– Age and Type of Your Thermostat. As with everything, your thermostat can become outdated, with a typical lifespan of around a decade. If you know yours is nearing the end of its prime, it could be time to replace it. If you don’t currently have a programmable thermostat, this is the perfect time to upgrade to one. You can save at minimal 10% a year on heating and cooling costs by having a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows you to adjust the times you turn on the heating or air-conditioning in your Buffalo, New York home by having a pre-set schedule.
– Thermostat Will Not Respond. An easy way to tell if your thermostat needs replaced, is if it stops changing settings or will not respond when you are adjusting it. Again, check the batteries; however, if that still doesn’t work, it is probably time for a new one. When you adjust temperature settings on your thermostat, it should promptly respond to those changes. If your HVAC system doesn’t come on immediately when you make adjustments, there is likely an issue with the thermostat.
If your thermostat is not working properly or at all, it probably needs replaced. It’s important to have a thermostat that is fully operational so you can ensure your home and family remain comfortable throughout all of the seasons of the year.
Reimer Home Services can help you diagnose thermostat issues and resolve them. For decades, local homeowners have trusted the team at Reimer Home Services with all their home service needs. We’re your HVAC company in Buffalo. We’re your plumbers here in Western New York. Above all else, we’re here for you and your home.Contact us for Day or Night assistance.